So if you follow me on Twitter or Dribbble, you’ve probably heard that I just got married! While the day was absolutely perfect, I will admit that I’m glad there’s no more planning to be done. And now that the wedding is finished, I have a lot more time to dedicate to some side projects, writing here more, and contributing to Rattle Media.

Designing our wedding collateral was no easy feat. It was nice to jump back into print design, and it gave me a great respect for those who do it on a regular basis, especially those who specialize in wedding collateral design (like my good friend Matthew at a fine press). I don’t usually get to focus on type and vintage-y stuff, so it was fun to explore this style of design. I don’t consider myself to be an excellent letterer/typographer, but I definitely had fun with it. I also enjoyed working on our wedding website, and of course being the web geek that I am, set up a page to view all the Instagrams from the big day.

Below are some reflections on some of the design items I worked on.

Save The Date

Throughout the design of our wedding collateral, I went a little stamp crazy. Simon’s Stamps got lots of our money. Our Save the Date was a giant stamp on Madero Beach French Paper (which I am absolutely in love with). In retrospect, I wish I would’ve had the website finished first and would’ve added the website URL to the Save the Date. It would’ve avoided having to field a lot of questions from our guests.

save-the-date

Invitation

The invitation ended up being a bit of a rush job as time escaped me during the holidays. I originally wanted to have them letterpressed, but when it came down to it, we just couldn’t fit it into our budget and the process was going to take too long. The reply card, website tag, and address stamp were all custom stamps. Lauren and I spent a couple late nights putting them all together, and though they were pretty, tying those strings were a huge pain in the ass.

invite-spread invite-package

The Website

The wedding website was a fun little responsive project. I spent a lot of time trying to optimize it for speed, and ended up ditching jQuery altogether. It didn’t get a ton of use from our guests, which was slightly disappointing. I think it was due to it not being up sooner and that we didn’t include the URL on the Save the Date or the invitation (it was only on the little tag on our invitation “package”). This led to us fielding way more questions about where to stay and where we were registered than I would’ve liked.

wedding-website

The Instagram feed page came out nicely, but I did run into 2 unforeseen snags with it. The first being that the Instagram API only returns back a certain number of images at a time, not all of them at once. So even though we had 80+ Instagrams on the day of the wedding, the webpage was only displaying 9 (fixed it once I got back from the honeymoon). The other snag being that the API (understandably) only returns photos of public users. Anyone who took photos and is a private user won’t have their photo displayed. In the end, it looks nice and a lot of people seem to think it was a cool idea.

website-instagrams

The biggest realization after working on all of the collateral was realizing I’m my own worst client.